Wednesday, April 13, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 4

Today's little jaunt through my musical tastes is around the theme of songs that make me sad. Usually songs that make me sad are songs that actually make me feel either melancholy or nostalgic rather that actually upset. So, to today's videos...

Track 1 - "Loch Tay Song" by The Corries



This traditional Scottish song is so full of pathos and pain that there are times when I physicaly cry when I listen to it. I can't help but think of home whenever I listen to The Corries, even though the concept of "home" is a tricky one for an Army brat.

Track 2 - "The Green Fields of France" by The Fureys



Originally written by Eric Bogle, this song captures the futility of war so perfectly, and especially the waste of a generation that was supposed to be the war to end all wars. Although it has been recorded by many acts, The Fureys do it best for me.

Track 3 - "Miserere Mei Deus" by Allegri, performed by Kings College Chapel Choir



Well, nobody said it had to be modern. Quite often I listen to this when I am feeling down and I find comfort in the beauty of human genius. That perfect harmony of voices is simply beautiful.

Three quite different tracks there, but the song that makes me feel the saddest is "The Green Fields of France" because it seems we never learn that war solves nothing, and simply shares the pain of humanity to the widest audience available.

No comments: