Sunday, April 10, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 1

I have noticed lately that several of my friends on Facebook have been taking part in something called the 30 Day Song Challenge. Intrigued, I did a quick search on Google and found the website that seems to have started the whole thing. To cut a short story even shorter, I decided to take on the challenge, but to do it through this blog rather than Facebook, and to add a bit of a twist, to post three tracks for each day and choose the winner from those.

Day one of the project is dedicated to "Your Favourite Song". Favourite song is such a broad topic, so I narrowed it down by defining "favourite" as a song that I have no problem whatsoever clicking repeat to, and listening to it more than twice in a row. So, here goes.......

Track 1 - "Sen" by Lucie



It is rather inevitable I guess that after 10 years in Prague, there would be a Czech song or two floating around as my favourites. I went to see Lucie in concert at the old Slavia Prague football stadium, in 2001 I think. The title of the song in English is "Dream".

Track 2 - "Stay Together" by Suede



I have been a fan of Suede for years, I loved the Dog, Man, Star album, and several of its tracks could have made it into this list. I first heard "Stay Together" on the radio and it was love at first listen.

Track 3 - "While You Sleep" by The Mutton Birds



Walking into the centre of Birmingham one Saturday morning, when I was a student, I saw the album cover for "Envy of Angels" by The Mutton Birds. I loved the picture on the cover and so splashed the cash to buy the CD - a bad habit of mine is buying albums because of the cover art, which may explain somewhat why I buy albums rather than downloading them, I love reading the booklets. Anyway, when I got back to my dorm I chucked the disc in and found that I liked the music, and this song was the highlight. I love the sheer happiness that the songs gives me every time I listen to it. When The Mutton Birds came to Brum on tour in 1998, my mate Cristi and I went along to the gig and had a great night out.

Choosing a favourite song from those three is, naturally, very difficult. However, purely the fact that I love to put this song on in the car and sing loudly while driving, my favourite song has to be "While You Sleep" by The Mutton Birds.

No comments: